Acoustic Testing from JSD Air and Acoustic Testing

JSD AAT provides an UKAS accredited service for acoustic testing for all types residential properties.

Any builder or developer dealing in conversions and new builds, is required to conform to new regulations, the laws under acoustic testing are described fully under Part 'E' of the Building Regulations.

If you have registered your development with Robust Details Ltd, then there is no requirement for Sound Insulation Testing. If you have not registered your development then Sound Insulation Testing is a requirement to demonstrate compliance with Document E.

What is acoustic testing?

Acoustic or sound insulation testing refers to a method of quantifying the resistance to the passage of sound between two spaces. Sound testing has been a requirement under Building Regulations Part E since 2003 for rooms for residential purposes and flats/houses formed by material change, a revision in 2004 means that new buildings have to be sound tested.

The building regulations state that one set of tests is required for every ten properties in a development, the number of sound tests varies for houses or flats. Sound testing is also required for commercial properties such as schools, hospitals and workplaces to ensure that the level of noise is insulated.

JSD AAT can provide recommendations on what should be tested in your development, however, the Building Control Officer has the final decision and should be consulted to find out exactly what they would like tested, i.e. which rooms, walls and floors. We have standard fees for Sound Insulation Testing but in the event your requirements are more complex then if you supply us with the information you have from your Building Control Officer together with drawings, we can provide you with a detailed quote.

How is sound insulation tested?

The test is carried out between two rooms that are separated by a party wall or floor and will involve creating a controlled noise in one room and taking measurements in both this room and the one separated by the wall or floor, we can then tell how much sound is stopped by the structure. This process is repeated in at least one more sets of rooms. Separating floors will also have a test that replicates footsteps or 'impact' testing.

When can a property be sound tested?

Before the sound insulation test can be carried out, the building should be essentially complete, with doors, windows, fixtures and fittings in place (no soft floor coverings, furniture or furnishings). This will ensure that the sound insulation test is only measuring the construction of the building/separating partition.

How to ensure the acoustic test is passed first time?

As a professional organisation and members of UKAS, JSD Air and Acoustic Testing try to work with our clients to ensure that their buildings pass the Sound Insulation Test first time. We can supply you with comprehensive pre-test guidelines, which outline key areas that you can ensure are finished to a standard that will improve the sound insulation of a property. To ensure the test is conducted successfully, it is imperative we have quiet conditions during the test programme. The noise that is created by our equipment is substantial and therefore all staff should vacate the building during the test.

What if the building fails the acoustic test?

We always try to work with the Client to ensure the test passes first time (see guidelines), however should your test fail, we can evaluate the test report and offer recommendations for remedial work based on our experience so that the construction passes the requirements of the Building Regulations, ultimately satisfying the Building Control Officer.